- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 18 large marshmallows, halved
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 6 tablespoons milk
- In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, milk and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8 minutes. Press a marshmallow half, cut side down, onto each cookie; bake 2 minutes longer. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the butter, confectioners' sugar, cocoa and salt. Add enough milk to achieve a spreading consistency. Frost cookies. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews forChocolate Marshmallow Meltaways
"My kids really enjoyed helping with these, especially the marshmallow. They were very sweet and chocolatey."
"The kids really enjoyed helping with these, especially putting on the marshmallow. Extra sweet and chocolatey."
"I had half a bag of marshmallows that I wanted to use up. I always check TOH first, because the recipes are tried and true, for arecipe and found this one. I like the moistness of the cookie. The cookie it's self is not that sweet and the marshmallow and frosting compliment each other. My husband said Mmmm! Cool! I used a small cookie scoop ( just the right size fir the cookie) and got 42 cookies. I made my frosting a little stiff and just frosted the top of the marshmallow."
"I really enjoyed these cookies. They are different from anything I have in my recipe box and that's what I like so much about them. I agree with another reviewer... they are rich, but good! I used a scooper to form my cookies and I only got 28 instead of 36. The cookie is on the drier side, but with the marshmallow and icing, everything balances out. I will definitely make again!"
"These cookies were delicious, my husband and 3 year old son's preschool class loved them as well! I will definitely make them again as they'll be asking for them."
"Absolutely delicious! It is rich, but one of the best cookie recipes I have found, and yet so simple."
"One of my favorite cookie recipes. Nice and chocolatey and gooey. Though I admit I cheat and use pre-made frosting rather than make my own."
"Really good cookies!"
"I made dozens of cookies for Christmas this last December. These were by far the #1 choice."