Chocolate Marble Squares
I've never had a chance to sample this cake—I'm allergic to chocolate!—but everyone, especially my teenage son, tells me it's the best they've eaten. They must be right, because every time I've taken it to a church event or family gathering, someone asks me for the recipe. —Cheryl Scarf, Atlantic, Iowa
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, cream the cream cheese, 1/2 cup sugar and 1 egg; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, bring the water, butter and chocolate squares to a boil, stirring constantly. Cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat the sour cream, remaining sugar and eggs. Beat in chocolate mixture. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to mixture. Pour into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- Drop reserved cream cheese mixture by teaspoonfuls over batter. Cut through batter with a knife to swirl the creamed cheese mixture. Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 264 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 180mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Marble Squares in Sweet and Scrumptious Chocolate
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.