VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, cream the cream cheese, 1/2 cup sugar and 1 egg; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, bring the water, butter and chocolate squares to a boil, stirring constantly. Cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat the sour cream, remaining sugar and eggs. Beat in chocolate mixture. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to mixture. Pour into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- Drop reserved cream cheese mixture by teaspoonfuls over batter. Cut through batter with a knife to swirl the creamed cheese mixture. Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 24 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Marble Squares in Sweet and Scrumptious Chocolate 1994, p10