I've never had a chance to sample this cake—I'm allergic to chocolate!—but everyone, especially my teenage son, tells me it's the best they've eaten. They must be right, because every time I've taken it to a church event or family gathering, someone asks me for the recipe.
Recommended: Top 10 Brownie Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 3 eggs, divided
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1-1/2 squares (1-1/2 ounces) unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups chocolate chips
- In a small mixing bowl, cream together cream cheese, 1/2 cup sugar and 1 egg; set aside. In a small saucepan, bring water, butter and chocolate squares to a boil, stirring constantly. Cool. Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, cream remaining sugar, sour cream and remaining eggs. Add chocolate mixture. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to large mixing bowl. Pour into a greased and floured 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Drop reserved cream cheese mixture by teaspoonfuls over batter. Run a knife through mixture to create a marbled effect. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until cake tests done. Yield: 24 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Marble Squares in Sweet and Scrumptious Chocolate 1994, p10