Chocolate Maple Bars Recipe
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 squares (1-1/2 ounces) unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1. In a mixing bowl, cream the shortening, syrup and sugar. Beat in the eggs, milk and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Remove half of the batter to another bowl.
- 2. Combine melted chocolate and pecans; stir into one bowl. Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Add coconut to remaining batter. Spread carefully over chocolate batter. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. cool completely on a wire rack.
- 3. For frosting, in a small mixing bowl, cream butter. Gradually add confectioners' sugar and cocoa. Slowly add syrup, beating until smooth. Fold in marshmallows. Frost bars. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 each: 143 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 43mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Chocolate Maple Bars
"These were delicious. I brought them to a community event this afternoon and got many positive comments. I prepared them just as the recipe instructed - very easy. Nice that it didn't take a long time to bake. Frosting was delicious too. Living in New York's maple country, we like to find unique ways to use real maple syrup too."