VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons malted milk powder
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 8 ounces white baking chocolate, chopped
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- In a large bowl, beat eggs for 2 minutes or until lemon-colored. Add the potatoes, sugar, butter and vanilla; beat until blended.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, milk powder, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Add flour mixture to the potato mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. doughnut cutter.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. In separate small bowls, melt chocolates; drizzle over doughnuts. Serve warm. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Malt Cake Doughnuts in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2012, p32