Chocolate Mallow Cake
Nothing compares to homemade cake, especially when gathering with friends and family for a special occasion. The young and young at heart love the marshmallow frosting.—Edna Hoffman, Hebron, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Bake: 30 min. + chilling
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-3/4 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 large egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugars. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Beat in chocolate and vanilla. Combine buttermilk and water. Combine the cake flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture.
- Pour into a greased and floured 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- For filling, in a small saucepan, combine brown sugar and all-purpose flour. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Gently stir in butter and vanilla. Cool to room temperature without stirring. Spread over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges; sprinkle with pecans. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until set.
- For frosting, in a heavy saucepan over low heat, combine the sugar, egg whites, water, corn syrup and cream of tartar. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating on low over low heat for 8-10 minutes or until frosting reaches 160°.
- Pour into the large bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer; add marshmallows. Beat on high for 7-9 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Carefully spread over cake. Pipe thin lines of melted chocolate over cake; gently pull a toothpick or sharp knife through lines in alternating directions. Store in the refrigerator.
Editor's NoteA stand mixer is recommended for beating the frosting after it reaches 160°.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 446 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 310mg sodium, 79g carbohydrate (61g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.