Chocolate Macaroon Critters
These sweet and yummy treats are easy for kids to help make. They will especially enjoy using the M&M’s to make the faces into a wide variety of expressions—silly, happy and yes, even scary!—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 25 min./batch + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 package (14 ounces) sweetened shredded coconut
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup egg whites (about 6)
- M&M's miniature baking bits
- Red decorating frosting
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Cool. In a large bowl, beat the coconut, sugar and egg whites until combined. Beat in melted chocolate. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Drop by tablespoons 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until tops feel dry. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Using baking bits and frosting, create faces on cookies.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 89 calories, 5g fat (4g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 29mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Chocolate Macaroon Critters in Halloween Party Favorites 2008