- 1 egg white
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups flaked coconut, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- CAKE BATTER:
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1-3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted and cooled
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 5 tablespoons milk
- In a small mixing bowl, beat egg white on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold in coconut and flour; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg whites on medium until soft peaks form. gradually beat in 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved; set aside. In another mixing bowl, cream shortening and remaining sugar. Add the egg yolks, sour cream and vanilla; beat until creamy. Combine coffee and buttermilk. combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with coffee mixture. Beat until combined. Fold in beaten egg whites.
- Pour half of the batter into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan with removable bottom. drop coconut filling by spoonfuls over batter. Top with remaining batter. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Immediately invert cake onto a wire rack; cool completely, about 1 hour. Run a knife around side of pan and remove.
- In a mixing bowl, combine frosting ingredients. beat until smooth and creamy. Spread over the top and sides of cake. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews forChocolate Macaroon Cake
"For this recipie, do you have to use coffee? Does anyone know of a good substitute?"