Chocolate Lover’s Pudding
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg yolks, beaten
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Fresh raspberries, optional
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine 1/4 cup sugar and milk. Bring just to a boil, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine cornstarch, salt and remaining sugar; whisk in egg yolks until smooth.
- Slowly pour hot milk mixture in a thin stream into egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly. Whisk in cocoa. Return mixture to saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly until thickened, about 1 minute. Immediately remove from the heat.
- Stir in the chocolate, butter and vanilla until melted. Whisk until completely smooth. Cool for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to dessert dishes. Serve warm or refrigerate, covered, 1 hour. Just before serving, top with raspberries if desired.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup (calculated without raspberries): 239 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 176mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
May 22, 2015
Easy to make and very chocolatey. Would be awesome with some Cool Whip on top.
Feb 24, 2015
Good flavor and easier & quicker than other homemade pudding, as it doesn't require so much stirring, however, it still had a little lumps in it despite lots of whisking.