Chocolate Lover’s Eclairs
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 2-1/2 cups cold whole milk
- 1 package (5.1 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- CHOCOLATE ICING:
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons hot water
- In a large saucepan, combine butter and water. Bring to a rapid boil, stirring until the butter melts. Reduce heat to low; add flour and salt. Stir vigorously until mixture leaves the sides of the pan and forms a stiff ball. Remove from the heat. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- With a tablespoon or a pastry tube fitting with a no. 10 or larger tip, spoon or pipe dough into 4-in.-long x 1-1/2-in.-wide strips on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 450° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 325° bake 20 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a large bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. In another large bowl, whip cream until soft peaks form. Beat in sugar and vanilla; fold into pudding. Fill cooled shells. (Chill remaining pudding mixture for another use.)
- For icing, melt chocolate and butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir in sugar. Add hot water until icing is smooth and reaches desired consistency. Cool slightly. Spread over eclairs. Chill until serving.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 470 calories, 28g fat (17g saturated fat), 174mg cholesterol, 492mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 29, 2016
This is the best eclair recipe that I've tried. The pate choux is perfect. My oven seems to bake hotter than it should, so I reduce the baking time by a couple minutes.
Feb 10, 2014
So, so good! I could barely keep my fingers out of the filling and the shells are so light. They are kind of messy when you eat them, so you might want to do so with a fork. So easy.
Jun 8, 2011
DELECTABLE! The whole family practically begs me to make it at every holiday. A tad on the messy side, but still delicious.
Apr 9, 2010
10 minutes before the eclairs are done. I remove the eclairs from the oven and cut a small slit in the top and place back into the oven and allow to cook at 250 degrees for an addition 10 minutes to dry the elair out inside. after the inside has dried out. I remove them from the oven and fill with a pudding mix (using a spoon). I then replace the top slit I removed. Then frost your eclairs and you will have people asking you how in the world did you get the pudding into the eclair.
Apr 9, 2010
to all the cooks out there, who would like to make this recipe and don't own a pastry bag. I have made eclairs for 30 years. I spoon the dough on to my cookie sheet and use a knive to shape the dough into the size of a candy bar. Mine has always come out wonderful.
Mar 30, 2010
This recipe was very easy to make and was very well liked by my whole family! Instead of using whipped, heavy whipping cream, I folded two cups of cool whip into the pudding and it still turned out really well!