Chocolate Lover’s Drop Cookies
Whenever a friend, who is a chocolate lover, is having a difficult time or simply could use a pick me up, I bake these soft, cake-like cookies. I make little surprise package and deliver them. Life really is better with chocolate.—Rachelle White, Wickenburg, Arizona
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (10 ounces) 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate baking chips
- 1 cup ground walnuts
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the buttermilk, egg and vanilla until smooth. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Drop dough by heaping teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 111 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 67mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Cocolate Lover's Drop Cookie in Taste of Home Cookbook Contest 2010/2011