Chocolate Lover’s Custards
Just one spoonful of this custard, and you’ll be hooked and request it for every special occasion. Smooth and rich in taste, it’s a dessert staple for anyone fond of chocolate.—Lorraine Caland, Thunder Bay, Ontario
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min. + chilling
- 2-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 5 ounces white baking chocolate, chopped
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 1 ounce white baking chocolate, melted
- In a small saucepan, heat cream and sugar until bubbles form around sides of pan. Add white chocolate; stir until smooth. Remove from the heat. In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks; stir a small amount of hot cream mixture into egg yolks. Return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Stir in vanilla.
- Transfer to eight 6-oz. ramekins or custard cups. Place in a baking pan; add 1 in. of boiling water to pan. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 30-35 minutes or until centers are just set (mixture will jiggle). Remove ramekins from water bath; cool for 10 minutes. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Working one at a time, spread bittersweet chocolate over each custard. Immediately place drops of white chocolate over the top and swirl with a toothpick. Refrigerate for 15 minutes or until chocolate is firm.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 519 calories, 43g fat (25g saturated fat), 260mg cholesterol, 57mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as White Chocolate Creme Brulee in Country Woman December/January 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.