- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 cups (12 ounces each) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in extracts. Combine the flour, cocoa and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Beat just until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 325° for 75-90 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Combine the chocolate chips, cream and butter in a saucepan. Cook; stir over low heat until smooth. Cool slightly. Gradually whisk in confectioners' sugar. Stir in extract. Drizzle over cake. Sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forChocolate Lover's Cake
"The flavor in this was good but I feel like the texture was a bit sponge-ier than I expected. I should have tossed the chips with flour like the other reviewer did; my chocolate chips clustered near the bottom area and caused the cake to break apart when I tried to remove it from the pan. The outside has a nice crunch to it, which I really liked. I still think this is a good cake, but I'd want to try to get the texture a little nicer. I just figured out that I left the cake on the counter too long while I waited for the oven to finish pre-heating. That may have caused it to be the gummy, sponge-y mess that I have now."
"Very delicious and rich. Came out of pan nicely and smelled heavenly while baking! I will definitely make again. Possibly putting chopped nuts in the batter! YUMMY!"
"A friend made this & took it to a Church supper, RAVE reviews!! I have not made it but plan to just as soon as I gather all the ingredients. She used sliced almonds, elegant!!"