A jazzed-up chocolate cake mix forms the layers that sandwich is a lemony cream cheese center in these bars shared by Renee Schwebach. "I took these treats to the office, and they were a big hit with my co-workers," she writes from Dumont, Minnesota.
Recommended: 20 Super Cool Icebox Desserts
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) devil's food cake mix
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 to 3 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the cake mix, butter and egg on low speed until combined. Stir in walnuts. Set aside 1 cup for topping. press the remaining mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until set. Cool for 5 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add milk, egg, lemon juice and peel; mix well. Pour over the crust. Crumble reserved cake mixture over the top. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until set. Cool completely before cutting. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Lemon Cream Bars in Quick Cooking May/June 2003, p47