- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons hot water
- In a mixing bowl, beat shortening and sugar. beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Pour into a greased and floured 9-in. round baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small mixing bowl, cream butter. Gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar, cocoa, vanilla and enough water to achieve spreading consistency.
- To assemble, cut cake in half. Place one half on a serving plate. Spread with 1/2 cup frosting. Top with remaining cake. Spread remaining frosting over top and rounded edge of cake. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forChocolate Layered Cake
"I used the cake recipe (doubled) in a shaped cake pan; I didn't make the frosting as I needed white to color. But this cake is amazing! Very moist and tender and cuts beautifully. I used soy milk because of a dairy allergy. This will be my go-to cake recipe for decorated cakes. I would also l like to try it with this frosting recipe."
"This cake and frosting is soooo good. You wont be disappointed!!!!"
"I made 2 9 inch rounds instead of cutting one in half. Was very good, icing is one of the best I have had yet that doesn't call for cream cheese or milk."
"This is a great recipe when a full size cake isn't needed. I baked mine in an 8" square pan & then cut in half & stacked to frost. The frosting recipe is a keeper. I used a bit of warmed milk instead of water though. Thanks for sharing this one with us!"
"This cake is excellent as well as the frosting.Di"