VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 4 large egg whites
- ORANGE FILLING:
- 1 cup cold fat-free milk
- 1 package (3.3 ounces) instant white chocolate pudding mix or 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/8 teaspoon orange extract
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- CHOCOLATE GLAZE:
- 3 squares (1 ounce each) semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fat-free milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- Coat three 9-in. round baking pans with cooking spray and line with waxed paper. Coat waxed paper with cooking spray and dust with flour; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the first four ingredients on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool. Gently peel off waxed paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk first four filling ingredients for 2 minutes (mixture will be thick). Fold in whipped cream.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; top with half of the filling. Repeat layers. Top with the third cake layer. In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave the glaze ingredients, uncovered, at 30% power for 45 seconds; stir until smooth. Spread over top of cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Layer Cake in Light & Tasty October/November 2003, p12