- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 to 3 teaspoons almond extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups (18 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 jar (16 ounces) maraschino cherries, drained and chopped
- 1 cup sliced almonds, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extract. Combine the flour, oats, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Transfer to a larger bowl if necessary. Stir in chocolate chips, cherries and almonds if desired.
- Roll into 1-1/2-in. balls. Place 3 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 12-14 minutes or until the edges are firm. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 5-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forChocolate Jubilees
"Wonderful and fudgy! The only thing I did differently was use less chocolate chips (all I had only had was about 1 3/4 c. and we wouldn't have wanted more than that). They were a little too sticky for rolling into balls so I just got out my dough scoop and scooped them onto the cookie sheets...worked great."
"I made 5 kinds of cookies this year and these were the all-around favorites! I used dried cherries that I re-constituted instead of maraschino, and left in some cherry juice. It added a wonderful gentle cherry flavor."