Chocolate Island Cookies
I've been making this recipe for about 35 years now, and it's still my family's all-time favorite cookie.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 15 min./batch
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup strong brewed coffee
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1-1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, chocolate and coffee. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in coconut.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until edges are browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For frosting, combine the chocolate, sour cream and butter in a small bowl until smooth. Add enough sugar to achieve spreading consistency. Frost cooled cookies. Sprinkle with coconut.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 175 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 56mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Island Cookies in Country December/January 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.