"I took the best parts of two ice cream dessert recipes and added my own touches to come up with this chocolaty layered treat," notes Ruth Yoder from Grantsville, Maryland. "At our family gatherings and quilting parties, it never fails to draw compliments."
Recommended: Our Best-Ever Chocolate Cakes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 package (16 ounces) cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies, crushed
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 quart chocolate ice cream, softened
- Whipped topping, optional
- In a saucepan over low heat, combine chocolate, sugar and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; boil for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the cookie crumbs and butter; set aside 2 cups. Press remaining crumb mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. pan. Carefully spoon vanilla ice cream over crust; spread evenly. Spoon chocolate sauce over top. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture. Carefully spread chocolate ice cream over crumbs. Cover and freeze overnight. Serve with whipped topping if desired. May be frozen for up to 2 months. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Ice Cream Dessert in Quick Cooking May/June 1999, p35
Reviews forChocolate Ice Cream Dessert
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 21, 2013