Most cake recipes feed a crowd. So we came up with this elegant little cake that serves six. That's enough for two…with just the right amount of leftovers! —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Featured In: 30 Recipes to Make with Nutella
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee, room temperature
- 7 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup Nutella
- Chocolate curls and hazelnuts, optional
- In a small bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream and coffee. Beat just until combined.
- Pour into two greased and floured 6-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small saucepan, melt chocolate with cream and sugar over low heat; stir until smooth. Remove from the heat; whisk in Nutella. Transfer to a small bowl; cover and refrigerate until frosting reaches spreading consistency, stirring occasionally.
- Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Garnish with chocolate curls and hazelnuts if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Hazelnut Torte in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008, p189
Reviews forChocolate Hazelnut Torte
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review