Chocolate-Hazelnut Swirl Bread
Homemade breads are my favorite goodies to give. After delivering these lovely loaves to friends and family one Christmas, people kept asking me for the recipe. I was happy to share it! —Nancy Tafoya, Fort Collins, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
Makes1 loaf (12 slices)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup finely chopped hazelnuts
- 1/3 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream.
- Pour half of the batter into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle two-thirds over the batter. Top with remaining batter. Sprinkle with remaining topping; press down lightly.
- Bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 318 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 286mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate-Hazelnut Swirl Bread in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.