Chocolate-Hazelnut Cream Puffs
Chocoholic friends and family won't be able to resist these mini chocolate cream puffs filled with creamy, chocolate-hazelnut flavor. The tiny treats are as pretty as a picture and worth every mouthwatering bite.—Mary Lou Wayman, Salt Lake City, Utah
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2/3 cup Nutella
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts or pecans, toasted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- Confectioners' sugar
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and 2 tablespoons sugar until smooth. Gradually beat in Nutella and cream until blended. Stir in nuts. Cover and refrigerate.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, cocoa and remaining sugar. In a large saucepan, bring water, butter and salt to a boil. Add flour mixture all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until set and browned. Remove to wire racks. Immediately split puffs open; remove and discard soft dough from inside. Cool completely.
- Spoon filling into cream puffs; replace tops. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts2 puffs: 303 calories, 21g fat (9g saturated fat), 106mg cholesterol, 177mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Hazelnut Chocolate Puffs in Country Woman January/February 2006