- 1 cup Guinness (dark beer)
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Grease a 9-in. springform pan and line the bottom with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat beer and butter until butter is melted. Remove from the heat; whisk in sugar and cocoa until blended. Combine the eggs, sour cream and vanilla; whisk into beer mixture. Combine flour and baking soda; whisk into beer mixture until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Remove sides of pan.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar and cream; beat until smooth (do not over-beat). Remove cake from the pan and place on a platter or cake stand. Ice top of cake so that it resembles a frothy pint of beer. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forChocolate Guinness Cake
"I made this cake and it was not what I expected or saw in the picture. It was not DARK and made way more then the recipe said. I used Guinness Stout beer but it did not come out dark and chocolate tasting(it was more like a gingerbread cake). It was good, but not what the picture looked like. What might have gone wrong?"
"I made this for a St. Patrick's day dessert. It was easy to make and tasted pretty good. I think the Guinness beer took away some of the chocolate flavor, though. I used dark cocoa powder and still thought it lacked chocolate flavor. I would definitely add more cocoa powder and maybe some extra sugar to sweeten it up a bit. The texture was very moist, though, and my kids loved it!"
"Very moist and tastes OK. Not sure I will make it again though. There is a strong flavor to the cake that I do not really like. Also, I had to add vanilla to the frosting. Otherwise, I didn't change anything. Perhaps it will taste better tomorrow...some things are like that! One thing I really liked about the recipe is that it is quick to make and I did not have to get out my big mixer."
"Delicious! My husband & kids both agree!"
"Very good. Moist and rich. I replace half the cocoa powder with dark cocoa power. I didn't use this frosting recipe."
"Recipe was a complete success! I followed the it ~almost~ exactly. I substituted all-purpose-flour for cake flour. And I find doing personal sized cakes is much better. Took about 20 minutes for mini cakes in the oven. I also made my own cream cheese icing.They were ~very moist~, and surprisingly delicious! Much sweeter than I was expecting, which is fine because I LOVE SWEET!Next time I may make a ganache.Here's a couple pictures of my mini bunt Guinness cakes.https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/11027500_10154008771745830_4021399531285051230_n.jpg?oh=d375f5ed5b255a934507d950008d7722&oe=5656582EIgnore the icing job. I'm not use to piping bags yet. Heeheehttps://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/11760057_10154010651690830_6409580376495519100_n.jpg?oh=15a36790a13cb612ff7daf6b6ca33301&oe=564877EF"
"When I visited Ireland I happened upon a slice of Dark chocolate Guinness cake. Soo Goood. Been looking for the recipe ever since I got back to the States. This one is great! First time I made it though was a flop. nothing but a sinkhole. (but still actually tasted great!) Saw lots of other people having the same issue. Cut back on the baking Soda! 2nd time I only used 1-1/4tsp and it rose perfectly! And Don't use the wisk when adding in flour and baking soda. use a spoon and stir just until everything is all wet.I also like to give a bit of spice to my Cream Cheese frosting, add in some good cinnamon and ground ginger to give it a bit of extra kick. Won't be that perfect frosty white though."
"The cake is great! I wish that the recipe would mention that the whipping cream should be whipped 1st. 1.5 pounds of powered sugar just doesn't make a nice frosting. Oh it spreads ok, but you can't taste the cream cheese. When it has a 4.5 star rating I didn't think I needed to read the reviews for tips."