Chocolate-Glazed Raspberry Torte
Folks just won’t believe a dessert so decadent and delicious could be so low-fat. Our Test Kitchen can take a bow for this mouthwatering recipe with its fresh-fruit flavor, cake-mix convenience and impressive presentation!—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup water
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed
- 1-1/2 cups fresh raspberries, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- Coat a 15x10x1-in. baking pan with cooking spray. Line with waxed paper and coat the paper with cooking spray; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, egg whites and applesauce. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine the whipped topping and 1-1/4 cups raspberries. Cut cake into three 10x5-in. rectangles. Place one layer on a serving plate; top with half of the berry mixture. Repeat layers. Top with remaining cake.
- For glaze, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cocoa and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat. Stir in chocolate until melted; cool slightly. Pour over cake. Refrigerate until serving. Garnish with remaining raspberries.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 196 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 177mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Chocolate-Glazed Layered Torte in Light & Tasty June/July 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.