- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 7 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the molasses, water and gingerroot. Combine the flour, cocoa, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in chocolate. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- Shape dough into 1-in. balls; roll in sugar. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until tops begin to crack. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews forChocolate Gingersnaps
"These cookies are so delicious, a great combination of flavors. I just made them for my book group and everyone wanted the recipe!"
"An absolute favorite and the more I share these cookies with friends, the more folks claim it's their favorite too. YUMMMMMMM"
"This is my favorite winter cookie. It has become a most requested around the holidays."
"Baked these for my church's bazaar and people just loved them! I have even got requests to make them again this year."
"Impressed that a 15 year old developed this recipe! Will make these soon and rate it here!"
"These cookies are a great combinations of chocolate and ginger!!! They are amazing!!! I will make these again and again!!!"
"These are now my favorate cookie. Love them!"