Chocolate Gingerbread Toffee Cake with Ginger Whipped Cream
This cake literally stands above the rest. For me, producing a cake this unique and eye-catching is worth the extra steps involved. With notes of ginger coming though in the frosting and the cake, it can only be described as delicious. —Marie Rizzio, Interlochen, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 5 slices fresh gingerroot (1/8-inch thick)
- 1-1/2 cups dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 package (12 ounces) dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 6 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup brickle toffee bits
- In a small heavy saucepan, heat cream and ginger until bubbles form around sides of pan. Remove from the heat; let cool slightly. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate; stir until smooth. Set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in melted chocolate and vanilla. Combine the flour, ginger, cinnamon, salt, allspice and nutmeg; add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition.
- In a small bowl, combine the hot water, molasses and baking soda (mixture will foam); beat into batter. Transfer to three greased and floured 8-in. round baking pans.
- Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, for ganache, place chocolate and salt in a double boiler or metal bowl over simmering water; cook and stir until melted, 2-3 minutes. Stir in condensed milk until smooth. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla until butter is melted.
- Cool, stirring occasionally, to room temperature or until ganache reaches a spreading consistency, about 45 minutes. Add cream; beat chocolate mixture until smooth, 2-3 minutes.
- Strain ginger-cream mixture, discarding ginger slices. In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until stiff peaks form.
- To assemble, place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with half the ganache. Sprinkle with half of the toffee bits. Repeat layers once. Top with remaining cake layer; spread ginger whipped cream over top and sides of cake. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
Originally published as CHOCOLATE GINGERBREAD TOFFEE CAKE WITH GINGER WHIPPED CREAM in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.