Satisfy gingerbread fans and chocoholics alike with a merry gift of cookie mix in a festive tin. They can cut the rolled dough into any shapes they like.—Redawna Kalynchuk, Sexsmith, Alberta
Recommended: 35 Cookie Recipes You Need in Your Collection
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup water
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Transfer to a resealable plastic bag. Place chocolate chips in a resealable plastic bag. Place both bags in a cookie tin. Yield: 1 batch.
- To prepare cookies: In a large saucepan, combine the chocolate chips, butter, molasses and water. Cook and stir over low heat until chips and butter are melted. Remove from the heat. Stir in the dry ingredients to form a soft dough. Transfer to a bowl; cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-1/2-in. gingerbread cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Reroll scraps. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until set. Cool for 1-2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Gingerbread Cookie Mix in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2010, p60