Chocolate Ganache Peanut Butter Cupcakes Recipe
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee, room temperature
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 4 tablespoons 2% milk
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- PEANUT BUTTER FROSTING:
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine first six ingredients. Whisk buttermilk, coffee, oil, eggs and vanilla until blended; add to the dry ingredients until combined. (Batter will be very thin.) Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
- 2. Bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. In a small bowl, cream peanut butter, butter, confectioners' sugar and enough milk to achieve piping consistency. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert a small round tip. Fill with peanut butter filling. Insert tip into the top center of each cupcake; pipe about 1 tablespoon filling into each.
- 4. Place chocolate chips in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Dip the top of each cupcake into ganache; place on wire racks to set.
- 5. In a large heavy saucepan, combine brown sugar, egg whites, salt and cream of tartar over low heat. With a hand mixer, beat on low speed 1 minute. Continue beating on low over low heat until frosting reaches 160°, about 8-10 minutes. Pour into a large bowl; add vanilla. Beat on high until stiff peaks form, about 5 minutes.
- 6. Add butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. If mixture begins to look curdled, place frosting bowl in another bowl filled with hot water for a few seconds. Continue adding butter and beating until smooth. Beat in peanut butter 1-2 minutes or until smooth.
- 7. Place frosting in a pastry or plastic bag with large star tip; pipe onto each cupcake. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Let stand at room temperature before serving. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 cupcake: 498 calories, 33g fat (16g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 196mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Chocolate Ganache Peanut Butter Cupcakes
"These turned out beautifully! They were worth the extra effort!"
"Awesome!! These are the best cupcake I've ever made. Everyone loved them. I used a different peanut butter frosting recipe because of time constraints and used chocolate curls."
"These are the best cupcakes I've ever eaten! Everyone asks for the recipe. I made one change: instead of the shaved chocolate pictured on top of the frosting, I add toasted pecans made by drizzling chopped or halved nuts with Oliverde Mushroom Sage Olive Oil, a packet of Splenda/Stevia, a bit of salt, and toasted in oven for 10 minutes (put in at same time that you are baking cupcakes). I also have used regular chocolate cake mix instead of this recipe, but substituting buttermilk and strong coffee for the water the box mix called for - it turned out pretty good too. The filling, ganache, frosting, and nuts on top make a regular box mix something special."