Filled with fruit, nuts, chocolate and loads of flavor, these traditional Italian treats hit the spot. We enjoy them at Christmas with a hot beverage.
Recommended: 35 Cookie Recipes You Need in Your Collection
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup mixed candied fruit, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- In a saucepan, combine butter, milk, sugar and honey. Bring to a full boil. Remove from the heat; stir in almonds and fruit. Stir in flour until blended. Drop by tablespoonfuls 3 in. apart onto greased and floured baking sheets. Spread batter with a spoon to form 2-1/2-in. circles. Bake at 350° for 6-9 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on pans for 1 minute before carefully removing to waxed paper to cool completely. For coating, combine chocolate chips and shortening in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat until melted. Spread 1 teaspoonful over the bottom of each cookie. When chocolate is almost set, draw wavy lines with a fork or cake decorating comb. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Fruit N Nut Cookies in Country Woman Christmas Annual 1999, p35