Chocolate French Toast Recipe
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 slices day-old bread, crusts removed
- 3 milk chocolate candy bars (1.55 ounces each), halved
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and salt. Pour half into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Arrange six slices of bread in a single layer over egg mixture. Place one piece of chocolate in the center of each piece of bread. Top with remaining bread; pour remaining egg mixture over all. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- 2. In a large nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Toast sandwiches until golden brown on both sides. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Cut sandwiches diagonally; serve warm. Yield: 6 servings.
Editor's Note: Six 1-ounce squares of bittersweet or semisweet chocolate may be substitute for the milk chocolate candy bars. Heat squares in the microwave for 10 seconds before cutting into smaller pieces to place on the bread.
1 each: 348 calories, 16g fat (7g saturated fat), 125mg cholesterol, 534mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.