Chocolate-Filled Poppy Seed Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1. In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Combine the flour, poppy seeds and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Roll into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make an indentation in the center of each.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediately make an indentation in the center again. Remove to wire racks to cool slightly; fill with melted chocolate. Yield: 6-1/2 dozen.
2 each: 102 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 64mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Reviews for Chocolate-Filled Poppy Seed Cookies
"These cookies look and taste great!!"
"I love love LOVE these cookies :D They are delicious! The first time I saw them in the book I knew I wanted to make them. I could almost taste them already! I would absolutely make them again. I made square ones and circular ones like in the picture. Instead of putting melted chocolate in the middle, I put one chocolate chip (not melted) in the middle right after the cookies were taken out of the oven. They melted from the warmth of the cookie but it was easier and faster than than melting chocolate and then pouring it on top. I like it better too because it isn't so much chocolate then. Also I took a chocolate chip and put it gently against the rim of the cookie and slid it around making a circle on the cookie. They are a bit crumbly, but when you freeze them, then take them out of the freezer they aren't as crumbly and they tasted a bit different and really good! I just love these cookies and actually don't mind the chalkiness. The poppy seeds are small so you don't notice eating them (as in the biting), but you taste them and it tastes great! These are perfect for bringing to a Christmas get-together or anything at all :)"
"Not that great; kind of chalky"