Chocolate Farmyard Cookies
"I've been baking these goodies since 1948," attests Laverne Militello of Deltona, Florida. "The dough is a cinch to make and the cookies are always a hit. Our friends tell me how delicious the treats are each time I serve them."—Laverne Militello, Deltona, Florida
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 2 dozen (3- inch to 4-inch cookies)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Additional sugar, optional
- 1 cup white frosting
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and chocolate; mix well. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well.Cover and chill for 2-3 hours or until firm.
- Roll out on a floured surface to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut into animal shapes. Place 2 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Sprinkle with sugar if desired.
- Bake at 350° for 9-10 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Frost as desired.
Originally published as Chocolate Farmyard Cookies in Crafting Traditions July/August 1997
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.