Chocolate Espresso Cake
You can have your cake and eat it too with this lower-in-calorie, decadent cake. This single layer, rich chocolate cake is draped with a fantastic cherry sauce. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup strong brewed coffee
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cherry juice blend
- 1/2 cup port wine or additional cherry juice
- 2/3 cup dried tart cherries
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Dash salt
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen pitted dark sweet cherries, thawed and halved
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup sweetened whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat a 9-in. round baking pan with cooking spray; dust with cocoa, tapping out extra.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, egg whites, buttermilk, coffee, oil and vanilla until well blended. In another bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into egg mixture. Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 15-20 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Cool completely.
- In a large saucepan, combine cherry juice, wine, dried cherries, honey and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until liquid is reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Stir in halved cherries; cook 2 minutes.
- Mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cherry mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in extract. Cool. Serve cake with cherry sauce and whipped cream.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 255 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 306mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Espresso Cake with Cherry Topping in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2011