Chocolate Eggnog Pie
Reduced-fat eggnog makes this creamy pie spiced just right, and a light treat for topping off a holiday meal. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup ground walnuts
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups reduced-fat eggnog
- 2-1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup cold water, divided
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3/4 teaspoon rum extract
- 2 cups reduced-fat whipped topping
- Additional reduced-fat whipped topping, optional
- Ground nutmeg, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a small bowl, mix flour, walnuts, brown sugar and cocoa; stir in butter. Lightly coat hands with cooking spray; press mixture into an ungreased 9-in. pie plate. Bake 8-10 minutes or until set. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a small heavy saucepan, mix sugar and cornstarch. Whisk in eggnog. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, sprinkle gelatin over 1/4 cup cold water; let stand 1 minute. Microwave on high for 20 seconds. Stir and let stand 1 minute or until gelatin is completely dissolved. Stir into eggnog mixture.
- Divide mixture in half. In a small bowl, whisk cocoa and remaining water until blended; stir into half of the eggnog mixture. Stir rum extract into the remaining half. Refrigerate both mixtures, covered, until partially set.
- Fold 2 cups whipped topping into rum-flavored portion; spoon into crust. Gently spread chocolate portion over top. Refrigerate, covered, at least 2 hours before serving. If desired, top with additional whipped topping and sprinkle with nutmeg.
Nutrition Facts1 piece (calculated without additional whipped topping): 259 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 90mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Swirl Eggnog Pie in Taste of Home November 2013