- 3/4 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- In a mixing bowl, cream peanut butter or butter until well mixed. Fold in coconut, nuts and 1 cup sugar; mix well. Sprinkle some of the remaining sugar on a board. Turn peanut butter mixture onto board; knead in enough of the remaining sugar until mixture holds its shape when formed. Shape into small egg-shaped pieces. Cover and chill for 1 hour. In a double boiler over hot water, melt chocolate chips and shortening, stirring until smooth. Dip eggs; place on waxed paper to harden. Chill. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews forChocolate Easter Eggs
"I have modified this recipe and this is what I'd done with preparing these delightful chocolaty treats: I used: 3/4 cup CREAMY peanut butter, 1-1/2 cups confectioner's sugar, 1 tsp. vanilla extract, 1 Tbsp. corn syrup, 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts/pecans combined. & the 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut. What I've done was to beat the butter and peanut butter until fluffy; then add 1-1/2 cups of confectioner'ssugar, the tsp. vanilla extract and the Tbsp. corn syrup. I didn't knead the candy mixture per se-I did just use my hands to mix in the coconut and the nuts-just until combined. I did cover the candy eggs and chill 1 hour, then I melted a 14-oz. bag of chocolate candy disks with 1 Tbsp. shortening over boiling water in my double boiler. I then chilled the eggs in order to allow the chocolate covering to set. This recipe made about 2-1/2 dozen-if I make the eggs a smaller size, I can yield more candy! This recipe is a pleasure to prepare! I made them again on 4/15/14! Thank you, Ruth Seitz, for sharing your Mom's recipe!For me, this recipe is definitely a keeper! delowenstein p.s. If I don't have enough candy disks to melt, I would use 1 cup of disks and about 1 to 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips with the shortening to cover the eggs!"
"I'd made these treats last year and I plan to make them again! This is a great recipe!Dawn E. Lowenstein"
"I had made thiese eggs last year & they were such fun to prepare! I took them to my volunteer hospital job and everyone there enjoyed them! I plan to make them this year, too! Dawn E. Lowenstein"
"We loved these eggs. I will make these again. I used my devilled egg trays, sprayed with pam, to shaped these eggs. It worked very well."
"Very delicious..had a reeses peanut butter cup flavor....I really enjoyed them. I was out of walnuts so I added more coconut and powdered sugar....Very good, will make again!"
"These are great!!! I just ran across the recipe & realized I've made these for years. Everyone always loves these easy treats."
"These are great. I made them in the past and just made them today for my kids, 14 and 18."