Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large Eggland's Best egg
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted and slightly cooled
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Chopped crystallized ginger and chocolate shavings, optional
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg, then molasses, beating well after each addition.
- In another bowl, mix flour, baking powder, ground ginger, salt and cloves; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with water, beating well after each addition.
- Pour half of the batter into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Drizzle with half of the melted chocolate. Top with remaining batter and chocolate. Bake 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For topping, in a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and ginger; beat until soft peaks form. Serve with cake. If desired, sprinkle with crystallized ginger and chocolate shavings.
Nutrition Facts1 piece cake with about 2 tablespoons whipped cream: 422 calories, 24g fat (14g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 209mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 14, 2012
I am not much of a baker, so I was nervous but this was much easier than I thought it would be and fun to make. I didn't do the crystallized ginger on top. The fresh whipped cream definitely makes it good. I also had some leftover cinnamon cream from another recipe and for leftovers tried that on a piece of this cake. That also tasted great.
Oct 8, 2012
I went half molasses and half blackstrap molasses. Gives it a bit of a kick.