This baklava makes a special gift and is also fun to put on a party planner. — Jesse Zipursky, San Ramon, California
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Bake: 30 min. + standing
- 1-2/3 cups finely chopped pecans
- 1-2/3 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 24 sheets phyllo dough (14x9-inch size)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup honey
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (6 ounces) dark chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, mix the first six ingredients. Brush a 13x9-in. baking pan with some of the butter. Unroll phyllo dough; trim to fit into pan.
- Layer six sheets of phyllo in prepared pan, brushing each with butter. Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out. Sprinkle with a third of the nut mixture. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining phyllo sheets, brushing each with butter.
- Using a sharp knife, cut into 1-1/2-in. diamond shapes. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine water, honey, sugar and cinnamon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour over warm baklava. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Cover and let stand for several hours or overnight.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over baklava; let stand until set.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 213 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 67mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Covered Baklava Squares in Taste of Home October/November 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.