What an impressive finish our Test Kitchen whipped up with this dreamy, creamy chocolate pie topped with peaks of golden meringue! It’s sure to be a family favorite.
Recommended: 32 Fabulous Easter Desserts
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 6 to 7 teaspoons cold water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add oil and buttermilk; toss with a fork. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork, until a ball forms. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to a pie plate coated with cooking spray. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. With a fork, prick bottom and sides of pastry. Line with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 6-8 minutes longer or until light golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt. Stir in milk and water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in chocolate until smooth; stir in extracts. Pour into pastry shell; set aside.
- For meringue, in a small bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Spread evenly over filling, sealing edges to crust.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour; refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Dream Pie in Light & Tasty October/November 2006, p55
Reviews forChocolate Dream Pie
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 27, 2013
"Excellent. So rich and creamy. A keeper for sure. Thanks for sharing!"