I've been married 37 years and have four grandchildren, and this is our all-time favorite dessert. Its chocolate flavor is subtle but delicious. The last time I made it, my brother said, "This has got to be the best dessert there is!" See if you agree!
Recommended: Top 10 Cupcake Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 package (3.9 ounces) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 3 cups cold whole milk
- 1 chocolate bar, grated
- In a bowl, combine the flour and pecans; cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Press into a 13x9-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Place the cream cheese, sugar and half the whipped topping in a large bowl; beat until smooth. Spread over crust.
- Whisk pudding mixes and milk for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Spread over cream cheese mixture; chill until firm. Spread with remaining whipped topping, then sprinkle with grated chocolate. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Dream Dessert in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook 1992, p95
Reviews forChocolate Dream Dessert
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 17, 2008
"This is a very nice Ice Box cake recipe. I've also made it for years and its a winner all 'round!"