Chocolate-Dipped Triple-Ginger Cookies
My mother always enjoyed chocolate-covered ginger, so she decided to turn her favorite treat into a cookie. In retrospect, the cookie is an expression of her own character, which is unforgettable and always delightful.—Bethany Hammond, Vancouver, Washington
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh gingerroot
- 4-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate baking chips, melted
- 4 ounces white baking chocolate, melted
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, then molasses, crystallized ginger and gingerroot. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and seasonings; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. round or 3-in. gingerbread man cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until set. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Dip each cookie halfway into melted dark chocolate, allowing excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Drizzle with melted white chocolate; let stand until set.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Triple Ginger Double Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2014