VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 4 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup ground walnuts
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in egg, orange juice and zest. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture, mixing well.
- Using a cookie press fitted with a bar disk, press long strips of dough onto ungreased baking sheets; cut ends to release from disk. Cut each strip into 3-in. lengths (no need to separate them).
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until set (do not brown). Re-cut cookies if necessary. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Place walnuts in a shallow bowl. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip each cookie halfway in chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Sprinkle with walnuts. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate-Dipped Orange Spritz in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p78