- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (4 ounces) German sweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
- 12 squares (1 ounce each) semisweet chocolate
- 4 teaspoons shortening
- 2-1/2 cups flaked coconut, toasted
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in the German sweet chocolate, coconut and pecans. Roll into 3/4-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until edges are browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Break each square of semisweet chocolate into four pieces. In a microwave, melt chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip cookies halfway into chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets; sprinkle with toasted coconut. Chill for 1 hour or until firm. Yield: About 5-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forChocolate-Dipped Coconut Snowballs
"These cookies are awesome! However, one glance at the recipe and I could tell this wasn't going to make 5.5 dozen cookies. I doubled the recipe for the cookies and got about 5.5 dozen. I used a single recipe for the topping, and that was more than enough to generously top and coat the 5.5 dozen cookies. I also mistakenly melted and cooled the German chocolate before adding it to the dough, but I'll try adding the chopped chocolate next time. I'll definitely be making these again!"