Chocolate-Dipped Apricot Fruitcakes Recipe
Here's a hint about this recipe: Don't call it fruitcake when you serve it. People who aren't normally fans will be delighted with these chocolate-coated cake squares. The moist cake is packed with apricots, dates, raisins and more. —Jackie Jegla, Sanford, Michigan
- 4 cups dried apricots, chopped
- 4 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- 3 cups chopped dates
- 1-1/2 cups golden raisins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup apricot nectar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 12 ounces white baking chocolate, chopped
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- Additional melted white and semisweet chocolate and pecan halves, optional
- 1. Grease and flour two 13x9-in. baking pans. Line the bottoms with waxed paper; set aside. Combine the apricots, pecans, dates, raisins and 1/2 cup flour; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the apricot nectar, honey, cream and lemon juice; beat well (mixture will appear curdled).
- 3. Combine the baking powder, cinnamon, salt, allspice and remaining flour; add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Add apricot mixture and stir well (batter will be very thick).
- 4. Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 275° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 5. Set aside one cake for Fruitcake Trifle. Cut remaining cake into 48 squares.
- 6. In a microwave, melt white chocolate; stir until smooth. Dip half of the cake squares into melted chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Repeat with semisweet chocolate and remaining cake squares.
- 7. Drizzle cakes with additional chocolate and garnish with pecans if desired. Let stand until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 piece: 350 calories, 20g fat (7g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 86mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Chocolate-Dipped Apricot Fruitcakes
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC