Chocolate-Dipped Apricot Fruitcakes
Here's a hint about this recipe: Don't call it fruitcake when you serve it. People who aren't normally fans will be delighted with these chocolate-coated cake squares. The moist cake is packed with apricots, dates, raisins and more. —Jackie Jegla, Sanford, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 4 cups dried apricots, chopped
- 4 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- 3 cups chopped dates
- 1-1/2 cups golden raisins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup apricot nectar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 12 ounces white baking chocolate, chopped
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- Additional melted white and semisweet chocolate and pecan halves, optional
- Grease and flour two 13x9-in. baking pans. Line the bottoms with waxed paper; set aside. Combine the apricots, pecans, dates, raisins and 1/2 cup flour; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the apricot nectar, honey, cream and lemon juice; beat well (mixture will appear curdled).
- Combine the baking powder, cinnamon, salt, allspice and remaining flour; add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Add apricot mixture and stir well (batter will be very thick).
- Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 275° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Set aside one cake for <a href="/Recipes/Fruitcake-Trifle"Fruitcake Trifle. Cut remaining cake into 48 squares.
- In a microwave, melt white chocolate; stir until smooth. Dip half of the cake squares into melted chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Repeat with semisweet chocolate and remaining cake squares.
- Drizzle cakes with additional chocolate and garnish with pecans if desired. Let stand until set. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 350 calories, 20g fat (7g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 86mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Fruitcake Haters Fruitcake in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.