This rich, fudgy pie came from an aunt of a good friend. The recipe makes two pies, which seem to quickly disappear at holiday gatherings. —Jo Ellen Greenhaw, Athens, Alabama
Recommended: 23 of Our Most Decadent Chocolate Desserts
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 unbaked pastry shells (9 inches)
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter or margarine, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line unpricked pastry shells with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside; remove foil. Reduce heat to 350°.
- In a saucepan, beat eggs and sugar until thickened, about 2 minutes. Add butter and chocolate chips. Cook over low heat until melted and smooth; stirring constantly. stir in pecans, coconut and vanilla. Pour into pie shells. Cover edges of pastry with foil. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until puffed. Yield: 2 pies (6-8 servings each).
Originally published as Chocolate Crunch Pie in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2001, p99