- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 5 egg yolks, beaten
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- Whipped topping
- In a large saucepan, combine the first six ingredients until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. stir 1 cup hot mixture into egg yolks. Return all to the pan; bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Cool slightly. Pour warm filling into pastry shell. Cool for 1 hour. Refrigerate until set. Just before serving, garnish with whipped topping. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forChocolate Cream Pie
"The chocolate pudding was delightful. It was creamy and oh so good. I cut the amount of margarine in half and didn't feel like I was missing anything. Put it on your must try list."
"This is the best chocolate pie I've ever had!! Family could tell right away that it was homemade and not instant pudding mix. I actually just use a graham cracker crust for it, and it could really make two pies! Sometimes, I'll use the extra stuff to make little cup desserts, layering the pudding and whipped cream. Yummy!!!!"
"Dx'd with Type-2 diabetes and went on low carb diet. I could not believe this pie, being my all-time favorite, was not going to grace our table again. Put the wheels to work and subbed a non-sugar sweetener for the sugar in this recipe and then made a crust from almond flour, a bit more sweetener and butter. I can't begin to tell you how happy I am with the results! Any reservations you have about this pie can be eliminated. The recipe as written is the most requested pie I make. Now I just make it so I can enjoy it again!"
"I was skeptical of adding the water but went ahead and followed the recipe as written. I did not use a deep dish pie shell and had some filling left over. I enjoyed every bite of that. My only suggestion is if you do make this positively lovely chocolate cream pie, please use a deep dish pie shell! Otherwise, you might have to do like I did and eat the extra. My pie is cooling as we speak and I am delighted with the results. Very happy to serve this for tonight's dessert!!"
"I thought this was the best chocolate filling I have ever had. My family raved about it as I made it for Easter."
"We were blown away by the deliciousness of this pie. Very creamy and tasty."