Chocolate-Covered Praline Chews
The contrasting milk chocolate and white candy coating make these chewy treats eye-catching...and they taste as good as they look.
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 45 min. + chilling
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- Dash salt
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons whole milk
- 2 cups pecan halves
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 ounces white candy coating, coarsely chopped
- 6 ounces milk chocolate candy coating, coarsely chopped
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook until a candy thermometer reads 245° (firm-ball stage), stirring occasionally. Gradually stir in the butter, milk and pecans. Continue cooking until temperature returns to 245°. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Immediately drop by tablespoonfuls onto greased baking sheets. Cool.
- In a microwave, melt white candy coating at 70% power for 1 minute; stir. Microwave at additional 10- to 20-second intervals, stirring until smooth.
- Dip candies halfway into coating and allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets; refrigerate for 15 minutes or until set.
- In a microwave, melt milk chocolate coating at 70% power for 1 minute; stir. Microwave at additional 10- to 20-second intervals, stirring until smooth.
- Dip other half of each candy and allow excess to drip off. Return to baking sheets; refrigerate until set.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 149 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 20mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Double Dipped Chewy Pralines in Country Woman Christmas 2007