Chocolate-Covered Marshmallow Cookies
I've always liked to cook, and this cookie recipe was always a favorite of my eight children. Now it's a favorite of my 11 grandchildren.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min. + cooling
- 1-3/4 cups sifted cake flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- 18 large marshmallows, halved
- 36 pecan halves
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 5 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 to 5 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- Sift together flour, cocoa, salt and soda; set aside. In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy; add the egg, vanilla and milk. Gradually add dry ingredients and mix well.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls about 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8 minutes. Do not overbake. Remove cookies from the oven and top each with a marshmallow half. Return to oven for 2 minutes. Remove cookies to wire racks to cool.
- Meanwhile, beat all frosting ingredients together. Spread frosting on each cookie and top with a pecan half.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 273 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 147mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Chcoloate-Covered Marshmallow Cookies in Country Extra November 1991