Chocolate Covered Gingerbread Cake
This recipes takes the homey gingerbread to a new level that will impress your family and friends. I especially like to serve it for the holidays. —Julie Ferron
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + chilling
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh gingerroot
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the butter, brown sugar, molasses, eggs and gingerroot. Combine the flour, ground ginger, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and cloves; add to the molasses mixture alternately with water, beating just until combined.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of cake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the cream, butter and corn syrup; bring to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from the heat. Stir in chocolate and vanilla until smooth. Let stand until cool but still pourable, about 20 minutes.
- Place a baking sheet underneath the wire rack. Reserve 1/2 cup glaze. Pour remaining glaze over cake; spreading with spatula cover top and sides. Chill cake and reserved glaze until glaze is just firm enough to pipe, about 1 hour.
- Pipe reserved glaze in a decorative pattern over cake. Cover and refrigerate. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 237 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 207mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.