Chocolate-Covered Apricot-Pecan Pretzels
Salty pretzel rods dipped in a caramel, apricot and pecan mixture and covered with dark chocolate make a deliciously different treat during the holidays. I usually place them in a coffee mug and cover the present with colored plastic wrap to give as gifts. —Aysha Schurman, Ammon, Idaho
Total TimePrep: 1-1/4 hr. + standing
- 1 package (6 ounces) dried apricots, finely chopped
- 1-1/3 cups chopped pecans, divided
- 2 packages (11 ounces each) Kraft caramel bits
- 1/4 cup water
- 42 pretzel rods
- 3 cups dark chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- In a small bowl, combine apricots and 2/3 cup pecans: set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan over medium-low heat, melt caramel bits with water, stirring constantly. Spoon caramel over two-thirds of each pretzel, rotating rods to coat all sides; allow excess caramel to drip off.
- Sprinkle caramel with apricot mixture. Place on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until set.
- In another heavy saucepan over low heat, melt chips with shortening, stirring constantly. Spoon chocolate over coated ends of pretzels; allow excess to drip off. Return to baking sheet and sprinkle with remaining pecans. Store in airtight containers.
Nutrition Facts1 pretzel: 228 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 165mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate-Covered Apricot Praline Pretzels in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2012